Acting is a courageous undertaking. It requires peeling back the layers of who you are so you can reveal to an audience who you are not.
Actor Care Specialist?
Studies have proven that dramatic story narratives can often trigger actors and/or leave them with emotional 'lingerings' that can have serious impact on their mental health if not managed well. There are also challenging roles that force actors out of their comfort zone demanding them to engage with more of their emotional pallet. Research has shown that this too can bring an imbalance to an actors mental state. As an Actor Care Specialist, I support the creative process during character development while keeping the actor's well-being a priority. My ACES model focuses on;
1) increasing capacity for resilience before accessing vulnerabilities.
2) creating boundaries between actor and the character they are portraying.
3) managing emotional challenges/blocks.
4) elucidating a characters' emotionally complex life.
What's my Responsibility?
When an actors' vulnerability meets their characters' psychologically and emotionally complex inner life their creative journey goes beyond what the skills of an acting coach can offer, is not always understood by a therapist and is not the responsibility of an Intimacy Coordinator. It's in this psychologically and emotionally vulnerable space where my work is valued. I journey vicariously with the actor and meet them at their point of need supporting their journey ‘into’ and ‘out of’ their characters complex inner narrative.
I understand the actors' process and facilitate their personal & artistic journey in the context of character development thus always maintaining clear boundaries between character & actor. I provide a safe and containing space and work toward preventative measures that safeguard actors from potentially being triggered by the narratives' content and/or themes as they fully embody their characters. Yes, It's personal. It's also very creative & empowering work and necessary for maintaining the actor's well-being while engaged in production.
How Can I Help Your Performance?
1) Increased resilience means bolder character choices.
2) Engaging personal strengths equals greater vulnerability.
3) Expanded emotional range translates to characterizations that are layered & nuanced.
4) Setting boundaries increases confidence to stay in the moment making spontaneous, authentic choices that are aligned with the character and not your comfort zone.